TelnetExpect

Dec 2, 2009 at 7:35 PM

Hi! alanjmcf. I got your email and thanks for the code. I just tried to set it up in my IDE and well I got like 302 errors from your code. I don't really want to spend any more time playing with some thing that doesn't work. When you get some thing that I can download and compile in VC# Studio. Let me know.

Joe

Coordinator
Dec 3, 2009 at 2:08 PM

Sorry you had that experience.  The "Download" contains pre-compiled library and samples so should work out of the box.

Regarding the sources in the repository.  I work very hard to ensure there are no error in my project; keeping a clean 'buddy' build etc. :-)  Presumably the errors you saw all mentioned: NUnit, Test or TestFixture, and they were all in the unit-tests project?  When I download the library to a fresh machine without NUnit installed the errors were related to that; with none in the library and two sample projects.  Sadly VS seems to report the "could not find referenced assembly" warning as the *last* report -- if only it had reported that and then stopped! :-(  Disable the TelnetTests project and all should be well.  Disable the NETCF ("TelnetCF") project too for simplicity, it relies on NETCF 3.5 for Trace.WriteLine which all machines might not have.

Hope that solves it for you.

Alan

Dec 3, 2009 at 3:20 PM

Thanks Alan. It did. It compliles. Maybe you should think of taking the to project parts out that don't work. Well Can you give me an idea on how to use this. See the Project I'm working on now was all done pc by pc. I had to go threw a lot of sample code to find was I was looking. And 80% of my project I still don't under stand. I just know that it works. Can you give me a better idea what your Libary does. and what it can do. Since it compiles I can go threw the source code.

Thanks for your Help and your Time.

Joe

Coordinator
Dec 3, 2009 at 4:08 PM
Edited Dec 3, 2009 at 4:10 PM

LATER: I meant to say download the 'release' first its got all the documentation and assemblies ready for use.  See http://telnetexpect.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx

Have you had a look at the documentation and the samples?  I know the common phrase "the code's the documentation", but I'd recommend only start looking into the library source code if you need to know some special details.

So, first see the readme, e.g. at http://telnetexpect.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Readme&referringTitle=Home  If you're programming automated access to a UNIX box or similar then see the Expect-like sample at the bottom.  You can write a script to do your process.  There's sample code in the TelnetConsole sample too.

There's also the Programmer's guide at http://telnetexpect.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Programmers%20Guide&referringTitle=Readme  If you're manually logging in, then again see the TelnetConsole sample.  The sample reproduces the telnet.exe command (and there's a WinForms version in the repository).  If you're somewhere in between -- automated but not using the Excpect scripting -- then just use TelnetStream.Connect to get a Stream connection to the telnet server.

Dec 4, 2009 at 3:54 PM

Thanks Alan. I'll play with it and see what I can come up with.

Joe